Here are five outfits to dress like the French for the Holiday season. If you’ve always wondered how French women dress for the Holidays, here is your French guide to Holiday party dressing.
It’s almost the holiday season! And although this year’s gatherings will be unlike previous ones, just looking around at festive outfits is always a fun thing to do. Whether this year you’ll be home alone, spending some quality time with your lover, or hanging with your family, here is everything you need to know to dress like the French for the Holidays.
How French Girls Dress For The Holidays
French-girl holiday style is all about being chic and elegant. Indeed, you will rarely find a French girl wearing a kitsch Christmas jumper, for example, or any too comfy style of outfit. The goal is to present a chic and polished version of yourself, incorporating fashion pieces that slightly differ from what you wear every day. This means swapping your pair of jeans for a silky black pant, your wool blazer for a velvet one, or investing in a new little black dress (une petite robe noire).
French girl’s ways of dressing for the Holidays is not laid-back at all. French girls usually mix classic staples and silhouettes that are finished with festive details. With statement accessories, a simple outfit is suddenly “habillé” or dressed up. For example, if you wear a classic black dress, make sure to elevate your look with a faux-fur coat or a feather embellished clutch. Elevate your festive outfit with jewelry, such as a chunky choker chain necklace or sparkly earrings, and makeup, such as a bold red lip or smoky eye. French women are not afraid to step their outfits up.
5 French Style Tips For The Holidays
Just before diving into French Holiday party outfits, make sure to follow those five style tips to get you dressing more French this Holiday season.
- First, prefer to wear classic and elegant shades like black, white, burgundy, or dark green. If you’re not sure how to match colors, a total black look is always the safest and chicest option for the Holidays.
- Subtlety is key. The French usually refrain from sequins, glitter, or anything else that could possibly associate you with a Christmas ornament. Instead, French women prefer to wear pieces made of velvet, satin, or silk. Just keep sequins, glitter, or feathers for accessories only.
- Even for the Holidays, French women avoid wearing dresses too short, pants too tight, or tops that are too revealing. Basically, avoid any outfit that is too sexy.
- If you’re planning to wear a dress, make sure to always wear semi-sheer tights. You can pair them with everything from boots to open-toe heels.
- Finally, French girls are never overdone or overdress. Avoid wearing bold shades, extravagant items, bright colors, or expensive pieces with logo. Instead, combine classic pieces with statement items like a faux-fur coat, a wool hat, or a great pair of shoes.
Keep scrolling below to see the five French-style Holiday outfits that I’ve created and to get inspiration from.
5 Outfits To Dress Like The French For The Holidays
1. The Red Velvet Blazer
2. The Classic Black Dress
3. The Satin Suit
4. The Blazer Dress
5. The Tweed Skirt
Disclosure Policy: some of the links in this post are affiliate links, meaning, at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase. Please read my disclosure here for more info.
Bonjour! I’m Leonce, I’m French and I’m a Parisian expat currently living in the city center of Amsterdam (I previously lived in the 4th arrondissement of Paris, on the Ile-Saint-Louis). I created Leonce Chenal back in 2018 when I was living in London and missing my home country way too much. Because I truly believe you don’t have to be French or to live in France to experience the French art de vivre, Leonce Chenal is a French digital magazine to help you live your French life, wherever you are. Enjoy <3