Here is everything you need to know to create the perfect French capsule wardrobe for winter. If your closet is full of clothes but you have nothing to wear this season, I’m here to help. Indeed, I’ve created a chic and casual French capsule wardrobe for winter you can wear both to work and on the weekends. I’ve selected for you all clothes, shoes, and accessories you would need to get French-girl style.
As a French woman, I’ve put a lot of thought into this winter wardrobe, as I wanted it to be stylish yet functional, classic but modern. My French winter capsule includes 24 items in total: 6 tops, 4 bottoms, 1 dress, 3 layers, 4 shoes, and 6 accessories which will allow you to create a multitude of looks for every day, the office, or more formal occasions. You will not find bold shades, extravagant items, bright colors, and expensive pieces. Instead, I’ve selected high-quality, timeless, and versatile items that work well together. These pieces will never go out of style and can work for a variety of occasions and seasons.
In this guide, you’ll find 24 items to create the perfect French winter wardrobe (with convenient shopping links to all pieces), plus 8 outfit ideas. I hope it’ll help inspire you to create your own capsule wardrobe
The French Winter Capsule Wardrobe
Shop The Capsule Wardrobe
Shop Cheaper Alternatives & Lookalikes
- Cardigan – French women usually combine their favorite cardigans with a pair of high waist jeans, a skirt, or over a dress and with a pair of ankle boots.
- Turtleneck – If you’re looking for something more premium you can shop those Mango turtleneck cashmere sweaters.
- Cashmere Sweater – One of the staples of the French winter capsule wardrobe.
- Chunky Knitwear – It’s my favorite item to wear during the weekend for a chic casual look.
- Straight Jeans – Those types of jeans are so much more comfortable than skinny jeans and are very stylish.
- Cropped Jeans – For a cheaper alternative you can shop the Madewell Cali Demi-Boot Jeans.
- Flared Jeans – My French tip is to tuck in a looser top to balance out your silhouette. If you’re looking for a cheaper alternative you can shop for Mango’s flared jeans.
- Silky Midi Skirt – In the winter, I love to pair it with chunky knitwear and a pair of knee-high boots, and very thick tights.
- Wool Blazer – A blazer is a great way to add a classic and chic touch to any of your outfits.
- White Button Down – It’s the perfect top you can pair with any type of bottoms and to add a bit more chicness to your outfit. Madewell Downtown Shirt is a cheaper alternative.
- Plain T-shirt
- Tote Bag
- Wool Coat – A long wool coat will add a classic and chic touch to any of your outfits. Prefer a neutral color and a high-quality fabric to stay warm this winter. For a cheaper alternative, you can shop for Mango’s woolen coat.
- Faux-fur Coat – Faux-fur coats are the ideal coats to stay warm in winter while looking very chic and elegant. For a cheaper alternative, you can shop the Bernardo faux-fur jacket.
- Knitwear Dress – One of my favorite outfits when dressing in winter is a long knitwear dress with knee-high boots and a long wool coat.
- Knee-high Boots – It’s a great shoe option if you want to stay warm in the colder months but you still want to look stylish and pulled together.
- White Sneakers – As a French woman, I love to wear a pair of white sneakers to make any of my outfits look casual chic. Opt for white sneakers that will make your feet look thin, small, and classy.
- Chelsea Boots – Versatile, walkable, and comfortable shoes, Chelsea boots are the perfect shoe option if you’re looking for chic and elegant footwear without the possibility of getting some serious foot pain. If you’re looking for a cheaper alternative you can shop these Marc Fisher Yale Chelsea Boots.
- Ankle Boots – Suede ankle boots are one of the staples of the French winter capsule wardrobe.
- Shoulder Bag
- Wool Scarf – A wool or cashmere scarf is one of the staples of the French winter capsule wardrobe. Just make sure the color of your scarf tie with the color of your coat.
- Leather Belt – This winter I love to wear a black and gold leather belt over my long wool coat, over my wool blazer, and over any chunky knitwear. For a cheaper alternative, you can shop the Mango crocodile-effect belt.
- Wool Hat – You probably already know I’m a huge fan of wool fedora hats for the winter season. Make sure the hat you’re choosing ties into the tone of your coat. For a cheaper alternative, you can shop the Madewell x Biltmore Shaped Felt Hat.
- Leather Gloves – It’s one of the winter accessories that’ll make a chic finishing touch to any outfit. If you’re looking for a cheaper alternative you can shop the H&M leather gloves.
8 Outfit Ideas Using These 24 Items
Here are 8 outfit ideas you can create using these 24 items. I hope you enjoyed this article and that it gave you some ideas for creating your perfect winter French capsule wardrobe.
Disclosure Policy: some of the links in this post are affiliate links, meaning, at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase. Please read my disclosure here for more info.
Bonjour! I’m Leonce, I’m French and I’m a Parisian expat currently living in the city center of Amsterdam (I previously lived in the 4th arrondissement of Paris, on the Ile-Saint-Louis). I created Leonce Chenal back in 2018 when I was living in London and missing my home country way too much. Because I truly believe you don’t have to be French or to live in France to experience the French art de vivre, Leonce Chenal is a French digital magazine to help you live your French life, wherever you are. Enjoy <3