It’s the beginning of February, it’s dark and cold and it’s probably to the best time of the year to add a hyaluronic acid serum to your skincare routine. Why? Hyaluronic acid is the best of all humectants! Indeed, it pulls water from the deeper levels of the skin to hydrate the surface. Hyaluronic acid draws water to your skin more effectively than any other ingredient; one molecule can hold over 1,000 times its weight in water.
Hyaluronic acid sounds like a chemical ingredient, but it’s not. It’s a molecule that occurs naturally in the skin’s structure and connective tissue throughout the body. It helps lubricate hydrate and cushion joints, eyeballs, and skin. It has a natural ability to hold onto water and seems able to adjust according to humidity levels, helping your skin cope with even dry climates. However, your skin’s level of hyaluronic acid decreases with age, and your skin loses its natural ability to retain moisture.
Hyaluronic Acid To Get Plumper Skin
Hyaluronic acid can deliver serious anti-aging benefits just by avoiding dryness and irritations, especially during winter. The extra moisture that HA provides helps plump the skin which makes fine lines and wrinkles look smoother. That is why this ingredient is usually used in most of the anti-aging serums on the market. Scientific studies have demonstrated that HA helps improve skin hydration, retain skin elasticity and aids the production of collagen.
“Topical application of all 0.1% HA formulations […] led to significant improvement in skin hydration and elasticity. Application of low-molecular-weight (LMW) HA was associated with a significant reduction of wrinkle depth, which may be due to better penetration abilities of LMW HA.” Source
Hyaluronic Acid Works On All Skin Types
Good news! Hyaluronic acid is not “heavy”; all skin types can use it, even combination or oily skins. It’s a powerful skin care ingredient that helps retain moisture and hydrate the skin without making it oily. HA is not an oily ingredient, it’s quite light and can be incorporated into non-greasy products for oily-prone skin.
How To Choose The Right Hyaluronic Acid Serum
To get most out of this ingredient, here are some of my recommendations:
- As usual, look closely at the product’s ingredient list. Some formulations claim to contain hyaluronic acid even though the amount is very small. So make sure to look for sodium hyaluronate early in the ingredient list.
- For a long time, HA molecules were too large to properly penetrate the skin’s surface. Now, there are plenty of offerings with lower molecular weights that can make their way through skin’s layers and temporarily plump you up to the top layer of skin. So make sure your hyaluronic acid serum contains low molecular weights.
- Look for other ingredients along with the hyaluronic acid. Like ceramides (lipid molecules to restore moisture), peptides (aka palmitoyl pentapeptide to produce collagen, alleviate redness), niacinamide (aka vitamin B3 to visibly improve the appearance of enlarged pores, uneven skin tone, fine lines, and wrinkles) or other antioxidants (like Vitamin C, E, Resveratrol, Polyphenols, etc.)
- Prefer a paraben-free, fragrance-free and propylene glycol-free, phenoxyethanol-free formulation if possible
Based on my recommendations, here are the best hyaluronic acid serum to give your skin some serious TLC this winter.
The 5 Best Natural Hyaluronic Acid Serum
1. Evolve Beauty Hyaluronic Acid Serum 200
Evolve Beauty Hyaluronic Acid Serum is for all skin types. This pure clear serum contains 200mg organic hyaluronic acid per bottle, proven to hydrate skin from within and plump up fine lines and wrinkles. Pomegranate Extract helps to regulate cell turnover and strengthen the cell membrane, therefore, limiting water loss and free radical damage. Delicately fragranced with organic rosewater. Key ingredients are rosewater, aloe vera, pomegranate extract, hyaluronic acid.
2. Elan Skincare Dream Hyaluronic Acid Booster Active Hydration
The Dream Hyaluronic Acid Booster provides active hydration and promotes skin smoothness, softness, and elasticity. Dedicated to repairing dehydrated, lackluster, and tired-looking skin. This amazing serum boosts moisture level, hydrates the skin from within, and minimizes the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. Key ingredients are sodium hyaluronate – 3% concentration, with the ultra-low and low weights penetrating deep into the skin’s layers.
3. 001 Skincare London Alpha Glow Flash Facial
Alpha Glow Flash Facial is a 3-in-1 serum, primer, and mask that combines 9 powerhouse ingredients in one bottle. This formula tackles the four concerns: loss of moisture, collagen depletion, inflammation, and melanin irregularities. This formula works to bind moisture within the skin, to repair collagen and elastin, to brighten skin tone, and to soothe skin’s inflammations. Key ingredients are sodium hyaluronate, vitamin A, salicylic acid, vitamin E, C.
4. I’M FABULOUS COSMETICS Bio-Identical Hyaluronic Protein Organic
I’m Fabulous Hyaluronic Protein is formulated 10 times more potent than any other topical compound with the same name. This product mimics the skin’s own natural protein and binds to the skin the same way. The formula contains a patented LIFT-TECHNOLOGY, which makes hyaluronic acid deeper absorbed by the skin. This product contains no preservatives or inactive materials. Key ingredients are witch hazel, aloe vera, vitamin E, C, jojoba oil, geranium essential oil, organic green tea extract.
5. Allies of Skin Triple Hyaluronic Antioxidant Hydration Serum
Triple Hyaluronic Allies of Skin goes beyond simply moisturizing your skin. It prevents the breakdown of natural hyaluronic acid while stimulating collagen production, strengthening the skin’s barrier and brightening. The formula contains botanical hyaluronic acid, resveratrol, niacinamide, and a peptide complex. Your skin is perfectly hydrated – and looking brighter, firmer, and more youthful. Key ingredients are niacinamide (vitamin B3), hyaluronic acid, resveratrol ferment extract, peptide complex.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. If you click through and make a purchase, we may receive a commission (at no additional cost to you).