Jeans are definitely one of the staples of the French wardrobe. It’s that kind of basic that flatters most body types, can be worn all year long, pared down or dressed up, and can be worn for every occasion while offering maximum comfort.
And when it comes to denim, French women definitely know how to make this basic look sophisticated and chic. That’s why in today’s article, we’ll go through the timeless styles of jeans French women favor above all, how they style denim, and where to shop for high-quality jeans.
The Denim Styles French Women Adore
First, when it comes to choosing jeans, French women do not look at trends but instead pick the most timeless styles. Indeed, in this interview for Who What Wear UK, Morgane Sézalory —founder of the French label Sézane, says: “I’d say instead of falling for the latest fashion trend, French women prefer their collection of trustworthy essentials. A good pair of jeans is one of them.”
And straight-leg jeans are definitely the go-to fit and staple in every French women’s wardrobe. “The perfect straight-leg jean is a wardrobe essential that flatters most body types,” confirms Sézalory.
So, if you’re looking for an effortless yet timeless style, opt for a pair of high or low-rise straight-leg jeans in regular blue that will go with everything and fits every season.
We carefully select and personally love every product featured on Leonce Chenal. If you buy through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you.
Here are a few straight-leg jeans I adore:
- Totême Original high-rise straight-leg jeans
- Loulou Studio Wular high-rise straight-leg organic jeans
- Reformation Val 90s mid-rise straight jeans
- Agolde Criss Cross frayed high-rise straight-leg jeans
- Sézane Le Brut Sexy
- Agolde ’90s Pinch Waist high-rise straight-leg jeans
In addition to the straight-leg jeans, here are a few other timeless styles of jeans I recommend:
- The high-rise wide-leg jeans – Reformation Cary high-rise wide-leg jeans
- The high-rise flared jeans – Sézane Serge trousers
- The cropped jeans – Khaite Abigail jeans
- The white denim – The Row Eglitta boyfriend jeans
- The black denim – Reformation Alyssa high-rise wide-leg long jeans
In terms of colors, black and dark blue denim is best for autumn and winter. Whereas regular, light blue and white jeans are better suited for the spring and summer seasons. For more information on how to style white denim, check out my previous article on how the French wear white jeans stylishly.
Where to Shop for High-Quality Jeans
When shopping for jeans, quality is key. Not only will deluxe denim feel better, but it will last longer too. To help you, I’ve compiled a list of the best jeans brands you need to consider next time you shop for new denim.
The best French jeans brands
- Sézane – Opt for the timeless Le Brut Sexy. This pair of jeans is a more rigid denim made with 100% organic cotton, so I recommend sizing up for more comfort. I’m a Levi’s 27 and chose Le Brut Sexy in size 29.
- Loulou Studio – This is one of my favorite Parisian designers! Consider opting for the Wular high-rise straight-leg organic jeans for a classic silhouette.
- Isabel Marant Étoile – I love the Belvira high-rise flared jeans!
- See by Chloé – The Embroidered high-rise tapered jeans are the perfect pair of white jeans!
- Isabel Marant – It’s the perfect brand if you’re looking for relaxed and ’90s mom-style jeans made from quality fabrics like the Nadege high-rise wide-leg jeans.
International jeans brands I love
- Reformation – I chose the Val 90s Mid Rise Straight Jeans* in color Folsom and the Alyssa High Rise Wide Leg Long Jeans* in black, both in size 28, as I prefer to wear jeans a little bit loose (I’m a Levi’s 27). These are the most comfortable jeans I’ve tried! I have the Cary and the Val 90s in Colorado on my wishlist.
- Levi’s – Opt for the 501 jeans if you’re looking for a good basic.
- Agolde – The ’90s Pinch Waist high-rise straight-leg jeans are cult!
- Frame – I love the Le Jane high-rise straight-leg jeans.
- Khaite – If you’re more into low-rise jeans, the Kyle low-rise straight-leg jeans are the perfect pair you need!
- Totême – For a very chic silhouette, I recommend the Original high-rise straight-leg jeans.
*These products have been sent to me by the brand with no editorial control and no obligation to review them. Receiving these products in no way affects how I write about them. I only recommend products I genuinely love.
How French Women Wear Jeans With Flair
The French know how to take this wardrobe basic to the next level. To inspire you, here are 10 jeans outfit formulas that will give you an idea of which elevated basics French women pair with jeans.
1. Leather Jacket + Navy Blue Jeans + Suede Boots
2. Short Jacket + Straight-leg Jeans
3. Cropped Coat + Wide-leg Jeans + Boots
4. Long Coat + High-rise Jeans + Ballerinas
5. Trench Coat + Straight-leg Jeans
6. White Blazer + White Tee + Wide-Leg Jeans
7. Beige Jacket + Straight-leg Jeans + Ankle Boots
8. Tweed Jacket + Straight-leg Jeans + Slingbacks
9. Oversized Blazer + Straight-leg Jeans + Stilettos
10. Fringe Jacket + Flared Jeans + Suede Boots
Leonce is the founder and editor of Leonce Chenal, a lifestyle platform launched in 2018. Originally from France, Leonce offers a fresh perspective that comes from her experience at top tech companies in Paris and London. Having spent several years in Paris and now residing in Amsterdam, she combines her professional expertise with a personal passion for French and Parisian styles. Leonce is committed to guiding her readers through the intricacies of Parisian chic, empowering them to embrace the elegance and sophistication of French style.