The creamy chestnut soup or the “velouté de châtaignes” in French is one of my favorite French recipes! If you’ve visited Paris in winter you might have noticed the aroma of roasting chestnuts at every street corner. They inspired me to cook this delicious French chestnut soup. The recipe below is creamy, flavorful, hearty, and nourishing. It’s one of my favorite winter soups! This soup is a combination of delicious chestnuts, shallots, a bouillon cube, cream, and butter. And if you’re like me and love making soups all winter long, you’ll love this chestnut velouté!
Do not forget to check out this delicious French peasant soup recipe with leeks and potatoes. Also, if you love French food, you can retrieve all the French recipes here.
Tips To Make The French Chestnut Soup
- Chestnuts (or châtaignes in French) are the star of this recipe! I’ll recommend using cooked and peeled chestnuts from Ardèche, France for maximum flavor which you can find on Amazon. I love these Clement Faugier whole-cooked chestnuts.
- Mix the soup until it is completely smooth. If you prefer you can add a few chestnuts (peeled and cooked).
French Chestnut Soup Recipe
- 500 g peeled & cooked chestnuts
- 2 shallots
- 1 organic chicken bouillon cube + 80cl of water
- 20 cl heavy cream
- 30 g butter
- salt & pepper
- Peel and slice the shallots.
- In a saucepan, melt the butter and add the shallots with a pinch of salt.
- Once translucent, add the chestnuts then pour in the chicken bouillon cube with the water, and cream, salt, and pepper.
- Cover, bring to the boil then cook for 15 minutes over low heat. Mix everything in a blender.
Disclaimer: I independently select all products featured on Leonce Chenal. If you buy something through my links, I may earn an affiliate commission, at no cost to you. I only recommend products I genuinely love.
Bonjour and bienvenue (welcome) to Leonce Chenal, a modern lifestyle platform created and curated by a French woman for lovers of everything French. My name is Leonce, and I’m originally from Annecy, France. I created Leonce Chenal to share my love for France and the French art de vivre (the art of living) with you. I genuinely hope my enthusiasm for this beautiful country encourages you to experience its wonders for yourself. Merci for visiting. Bien à vous, Leonce.